Thursday, August 18, 2011

First Time for Everything

I was only able to take one semester of metals while in college. We didn't work with faceted stones - that was considered 'advanced' level work. I have always been intimidated to work with them because of that. I FINALLY did it! And I even made my own stepped bezel from scratch for the stone as well. It was challenging and fun! I felt quite satisfied to make this ring. I wish I could say this is a diamond...but it's not. It's a 1 carat cubic zirconia. But leaves quite an impression.

Making a hole in the band to fit the bezel was both time consuming and challenging. Thankfully it was a perfect fit. One tiny mistake and I would have had to start completely over. Silver can be unforgiving!

The flared edges make this ring very comfortable to wear.

And it's versatile. Here I paired it with delicate gold bands for a simple look.

This look is quite bold...and my favorite! I've got to say, it looks so much better in person.

Gotta love a good text book!

I've said this before. But it never ceases to amaze me what you can do with some silver, stones, fire, hammers, and saws. I love metalsmithing!


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment