Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Recycled Gold

This may sound gross, but several years ago while I was taking my college metals class my dad handed me a baggie of some gold dental work that he had replaced. At first I was a little skeeged out by it, but then I thought- hey, gold is gold! Yesterday I ordered some half round beaded gold wire to make some rings with. I have never ordered or worked with gold before so I thought it was time to break out the gold teeth and see what it does under the torch. It works a lot like silver does so it wasn't long until it felt familiar. Half way working with it I remembered to take some pictures, like a before and after thing. Above is picture of the teeth, I had already sawed some of it apart and melted some down.

It came to just over a quarter of an ounce! That's a lot of gold teeth!

Here's the finished product. Sorry the image is dark and yellow tinted, but you get the idea, right? I made a pair of 1st-hole and 2nd-hole studs and a large pendant. Besides my wedding ring, I don't have any gold jewelry. So far it's been fun to wear!

No comments:

Post a Comment